[Stoves] Energy content cow dung

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Tue Feb 12 18:17:48 CST 2013

List, Richard, etal

I started this note off thinking I would try to prove that dung should not be used for cooking at all. In googling, I found nothing (repeat nothing) good to be said about using dung for cooking - except that it was sometimes necessary because there was nothing else. The alternative of course is the tremendous value of dung to improve soils. My guess is that almost everywhere, that something can/should be planted for long term alternative fuel supply not using dung. We have had recent discussion of Jatropha seeds for instance.

But after looking at a lot of web material, an Australian site popped up for improved cooking using a TLUD with dung. Many years ago I tried using dung in Ethiopia with a TLUD and had zero success - so I was impressed. The site is
https://www.engineeringforchange.org/news/2011/10/09/cooking_in_adelaide_with_experimental_dung_burning_stoves.html

It probably is necessary to only view what they call Blog #4, but there are three earlier - some showing the conversion of the dung into a fuel shape. I could not tell from blog #4 what their eventual fuel shape was, but maybe "cubes" of 4-5 cm size, if their starter material was typical. I doubt that it was in the form of "patties" I liked all I could tell about their TLUD, but think it could perhaps be improved with primary air control.

The saved char certainly has more value for soil improvement than the ash, if ash from typical non-TLUD stoves is ever saved/used. But it is not clear to me that their input dung wouldn't have been better used for composting with wood char being used (from the beginning - not added) with the raw dung. Not sure but there seemed to be enough efficiency improvement with the TLUD over the three stone, that they need not use more dung - and can still retain a good bit of the dung's soil-nutritional value. In this note I am trying to emphasize using dung to replace fertilizer - a topic I know little about, except I couldn't find a single place where dung use is recommended for cooking.

Contacting these clever Australian students would probably lead now to even more information on the dung-stove-soil nutrition topic.

Ron