[Stoves] A simple water sterilization technique

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Thu Feb 14 14:01:05 CST 2013

Thanks for insights, Tom,
Re training, let me know when. I am interested esp., as we are just down in Ashland, at southern end of state.
Richard Stanley

On Feb 13, 2013, at 6:18 PM, Tom Carter wrote:

Jeff-
Thanks for the post.  Yes, it's true that pasteurization at 65C kills all pathogenic bacteria and viruses, as well as worms and cysts.  I don't recommend "feeling it with your hand" however as even a 10 degree lower temperature will have a much lower effectiveness.  As you note, a wax indicator developed by Dr. Robert Metcalf accurately and safely demonstrates when the water is pathogen free.  We distribute them at no cost to families and instruct them on their use.  Filtration through a clean cloth probably helps a little, as does letting the water settle, but is not necessary for pasteurization.  Some methods that use solar UV disinfection do require clean water and clear PET water bottles for effectiveness.  They also take longer, lack an end point and have inconsistent results and for that reason we don't recommend them.
The last step is keeping safe water safe, by storing it in clean containers with small openings so that people cannot recontaminate it by dipping in with dirty containers or hands.
I'm going to give a water testing and water pasteurization workshop here in Portland in the next months if anyone is interested in being trained.
Tom Carter
Agua Pura Para El Pueblo