[Stoves] Destroying combustion chambers after TLUD pyrolysis ends Re: Need experts advise on combustion chamber

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sun Feb 10 04:05:22 CST 2013

Dear Stovers,

I received an direct inquiry for assistance.   I think my reply might be
useful for others, so I have removed identifying information and am
sending the reply to all and a Blind Copy to him.

Dear (Friend),

I have read your description (below) and viewed the photos (not attached
here, but similar to a large Ourja stove).

I believe (am quite sure) that you might be starting the stove in it
TLUD mode with fuel ignited at the top, with fan assistance. But then
you are continuing to burn the char that was created, and you are
probably adding more fuel to get the 3 hour duration.

Once the pyrolysis is finished, and the fire / heat is at the bottom, it
is no longer operating as a TLUD stove.   Your stove is essentially
burning the char, with the assistance of forced air. You have created a
forge, with air being blown on the hot char. That will destroy your
stove (as you have described).  That is NOT a TLUD problem.

Ceramic or cast iron are probably your only materials for a solution.

Note that the Ourja stove (by BP and now by First Energy) is quite
similar to your design, but smaller for residences.   The Ourja stove
has a cast iron cup in the bottom.   And it is glowing red hot at the
end of the cooking because it is a charcoal burning stove (with forced
air) that has made its own charcoal via the TLUD process, and then
produces more charcoal when additional biomass fuel is slowly place on
top of the hot char bed where it will pyrolyze.

Sincerely,

Dr TLUD

Paul S. Anderson, PhD  aka "Dr TLUD"
Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu   Skype: paultlud  Phone: +1-309-452-7072