[Stoves] combustion of char

Alex English english at kingston.net
Sun Feb 24 08:24:51 CST 2013

Art,

It is an interesting problem. One only has to be wrong once.

Your experience may be the only real advise.

If coal is a corollary then particle size is an issue. Yes powdered
char, or fines would be less able to convect away heat than  lump or
chip char with the voids to aid gas flow. It could hinder gas movement
inward as well. However liquid water could move in and create a damp
zone. The coal fire paper mentioned previously suggested that it was at
the margins between wet and dry where fire might get started. The logic
that works for me is that a puddle won't catch fire (tough sell) but it
provides humidity to react in neighboring dry regions of char which
begin to heat up. That paper graphed lab tests and in each case the
temperature rise was over hours not days.

With coal the risk was higher for low rank coal with higher volatile
content. This could suggest that relatively high temperature TLUD chars
are at lower than average risk.

The spontaneous combustion page which has a short piece on Charcoal
"Charcoal, that has been exposed to air for a period of eight days, is
not considered to be hazardous."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_combustion
lists the following reference.
Bowes, P. C. (1984)/Self-heating: Evaluating and Controlling the
Hazards/, London: Department of the Environment, Building Research
Establishment. ISBN 011671364

I have been unable to obtain it. Perhaps some one out there in stoveland
can help.

We have been making char and dry quenching in leaky, or unsealed, drums.
After a few days I decant into 200 liter plastic bags and leave them
outside. Later, before use, we add water 1 to 1 by mass. No trouble yet
but the ambient temperatures are low.

I am starting to ponder data logged tests to explore this further. I
don't like the worst case scenarios.
We need to establish what a critical mass or time or miss treatment is,
and then avoid it with a wide margin.

Alex
PS. Crispin, I know, I know ......no problem........... just make ash:)