[Stoves] combustion of char

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 09:21:47 CST 2013

Dear Alex

Would you please put a thermocouple into one of the dry quenching drums somewhere in the middle and log the temperature for a couple of days?  If you caught the ambient temp at the same time we could plot the difference.

When I logger Hoffmann kilns in Maputo I was quite surprise how easily we could see the diurnal temperature overlaid on the kiln temperature. I expect the same with your drums.

By subtracting the two we might be able to pick up a drop-rise-drop like the ones in the graphs in the first paper you cited.

Another possibility is to collect temps from the periphery of the drum and the centre, then ditto for the bags. At some point either O2 or H2O will have access to the char.

Regards from frozen Waterloo (this is getting boring)
Crispin