[Stoves] combustion of char

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Sun Feb 24 19:15:51 CST 2013

Dear Crispin

No I don't have any information on the Hawaii system, as developed by Dr. Antal et al, other than that the "charcoal yields' were very high... as I recall, in the order of 50% of the weight of the incoming dry biomass. I am guessing that with the high pressures, many of the tar components would not decompose, and would remain with the char. I am also guessing that when such charcoals were burned, they would be smoky.

If these speculations are correct, then this form of charcoal would be very much different than the "more normal" atmospheric charcoals, and their tendency toward possible spontaneous combustion would be very much different... maybe a lot more susceptible, maybe a lot less susceptible.

It would be very good if Dr. Antal et al could provide factual information on how their charcoal behaved.

Best wishes,

Kevin