[Stoves] combustion of char

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 19:25:46 CST 2013

Dear Kevin

Dr Antal has posted here before not so? Maybe he will respond.

The pressure involved is about 6 bars and the yield 45-50%.

>…many of the tar components would not decompose, and would remain with the char.

But remember that pressurising the system also makes it easier for the reactions to take place, breaking thing down. Be prepared to be surprised.

>I am also guessing that when such charcoals were burned, they would be smoky.

You are blaming the fuel for the performance of the stove! :)

If a charcoal stove is well made it does not smoke, tars or no tars.