[Stoves] combustion of char

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Sun Feb 24 21:07:45 CST 2013

Dear Crispin

----- Original Message -----
From: "Crispin Pemberton-Pigott" <crispinpigott at gmail.com>
To: "Stoves" <stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2013 10:09 PM
Subject: Re: [Stoves] combustion of char

> Dear Kevin
>
> When was the last time you saw a stove well designed to burn charcoal?

# I have never seen a particularily well designed charcoal stove... the only
ones I have seen were basically a grate, on which charcoal briquettes
rested. I have seen a Powerpoint Presentation by Gus at
invfalcones53 at yahoo.com , and it looks rather impressive. He is still in the
development stage, with further testing and tweaking planned.

> I am not sure you would see much difference with the other fuel. It would
> probably ignite more easily than char produced at high temperature. The
> big advantage of the high pressure method is total control over the
> process and a very short burn time.

# Certainly, higher pressures and temperatures would give faster reaction
rates. All good stuff, and in an appropriate stove, they would burn well.
However, the point here is that teh charcoal, before it reaches teh stove,
is likely to be very different from "normal atmospheric charcoal", and its
characteristics with respect to teh potential for spontaneous combustion
could be quite different from "atmospheric charcoal."

> Cecil was recently investigating the production of charcoal in Battambang.
> The burn time is unusually long and I think the production % is below 15.
> Really bad. It was my yearning hope that the process would be made
> available so a dramatic change could be wrought in the forests of the
> Third World.

# Is he using an "air blown" or "retort" process? Packing density, particle
size,  and moisture content are very important to both. Bed porosity is
particularily important for an "air blown" charcoal maker.

> Still possible...

# Sure! I think there is probably an opportunity to optomize feed
conditions, to maximize yield in minimum time.

Best wishes,

Kevin