[Stoves] combustion of char -- spontaneous and dangerous

Rein, Guillermo g.rein at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Feb 25 08:00:49 CST 2013

Thank you Glenn for passing this email along. I work on this topic.

Biochar, as char and most carbon-rich solids, is a reactive material prone to self-heating. If self-heating goes uncheck, it leads to fires. Some people refer to self-heating as "spontaneous combustion" referring to the spontaneous ignition of a reactive material that then start to burn with or without a flame (flaming or smouldering combustion).

As we speak, I am conducting experiments in my new fire lab on the reactivity of char and biochar.
You can read a bit more here:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/61065720/Very-long-term-sequestration-of-solid-carbon-Geo-Engineering-facilities-for-biochar-storage

Cheers
G.

Dr Guillermo Rein
Senior Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering,
Imperial College London, SW7 2AZ
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/people/g.rein

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do" JW von Goethe