[Stoves] {briquetting} Fwd: new briquette press from Hungary

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Sun Jan 13 22:39:46 CST 2013

Good insights as ever, Crispin,

Myown experience is that us eof simple hydraulic bottle jacks at least the 1 - 2 ton types supplied with cars or sold separately for same, are also fraught with problems because they are not designed for continuous duty. After all, how often really does one use a car bottle jack and is it often used in a gritty dirty environment--rarely.

I have seen lever bottle jack  combination units that take advantage of over center end pressures that can easily get to the cinva ram outputs but frankly I would steer away form the smaller bottle jacks for the reasons mentioned. At the larger production scale that Nora, Attila an Kevin Adair are undertaking, the 20 - 25 ton industrial strength designs stand up a lot better.
As to pressure, rarely are you going to need more than 12 to 15 kg/cm^2 (bars) if they get the mix correct for the typical ag residue blend used in the wet  briquette-making process. PAper based blends commonly only require well less than half this amount)
If the operator miss understands the essentials of testing the blend of for taking  set and holding together with the inherent adhesion of its own intermingled -softened-natural fibers,  then ( at least without added binders) they will have to go on up to 6000 psi or more to start melting lignin– if there is any,  and hope to heck it stays cool enough to avoid turning it into a steam cannon.

The compression curve – as non linear, is agreed ideal for over the center linkages.
Some youth in Haiti at least as of 2005, set up steering wheels with a connecting rod /crank shaft-like  linkage to actuate the hydraulic jack, spinning the wheel wildly, until it loads up. Its not same as a weighted flywheel screw design but it tends toward same effect bait. Another way to accelerate a industrial hydraulic jack press is to set up a mechanical foot-operated eject lever using a simple fulcrum, to lift the whole platen up the final few inches to eject the briquettes in the case of compress-up designs like this) as the eject phase requires far less pressure (1 - 3 kg/cm^2).

Sanu KAji has been using screw presses for quite some time up in Nepal as has the almost internet invisible Bonaventure Chidzaru of the PAMET organisation and Willi Malabu of Nkhomano Centre for Development in Blantyre and Indirande Malawi, respectively, but how they manage to keep the screw thread clean, and how long it is lasting, working with briquettes is not known. That is the thing about this kind of process its a gritty/dirty and wet working environment.  Sanu what are your thoughts on maintenance of a screw thread of your presses ?
The compound lever  mini Bryant wood press that is most popular with our colleagues, is no angel in this situation either:  One  hasto wash it and coat the wood with some form of preservative at least 4 x a month to avoid termites / wood rot etc.

Hasta
Richard Stanley
Antigua Guatmala