[Stoves] {briquetting} Fwd: new briquette press from Hungary

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 11:43:19 CST 2013

Dear Nora

In English that screw press with weights is called a 'fly press'. They are
very useful in that you can use them for pressing oil during the summer and
with a change of tooling, make briquettes when available.

It is possible to use a spreadsheet to optimise the production by changing
the thread pitch and handle length. This was done with a screw press used
for marula oil pressing used at Swazi Secrets which makes (of course) marula
oil. See http://www.newdawnengineering.com/website/oilpress/marulapress/

The force generated is much greater than the 'apparent' pressure from the
thread and the arm length because the weights have momentum. This allows for
more rapid throwing of the handle downwards before starting to do the 'real
work'. Using the two-arm approach a single person can do most of the work
and a second person join them for a minute or so when the last crunch is
needed. These presses have a working life time of decades, not months and of
course have no hydraulics. The pressure (over the whole long range, can be
1-2 tons.

If someone wants to calculate such press parts contact me directly for
assistance.

When the distance travelled is known clearly, it is more efficient to use an
over-centre clamp like a CINVA Ram or Terrabric mechanism which can run to 7
or 14 tons respectively. Again, no hydraulics and makeable in an ordinary
machine shop.

+++++++

Hi!

(little correction: i am a Hungarian born Hungarian citizen, and now living
in Hungary again :).. i was just studying in Holland)

When seeing the design from Haiti we were a bit afraid of using springs for
ejection, so we really wanted to push from the bottom.. And that was a
challenge with the spikes that make the holes.. And then my colleague had
the great idea with the two-way lid. (He is called Attila, I include him in
the list) And I dont think it should make much difference that the holes are
rectangular.

The other great idea of his, which i am not sure if u can clearly see from
the pictures, is that one of the lids is actually a tray that should slide
under the briquettes after compressed (and pressed above the mould), and
when you lower the jack, the briquettes just stay on the tray and can be
moved (we will probably make another one of these, to save time like with
the two mould sets with the legacy press). When we were testing the press,
we had a little accident with the jack, so I am not 100% sure yet whether
the tray will leave the briquettes intact(ish) but the first try when the
jack was working was promising.

The fabricators are of a small coop from another very poor region of the
country. (They are actually also Roma/Gypsy). A friend NGO set us up with
them, and they were really great to work with.

Sure we would be very happy to make a manual out of this, but I first want
to wait until we can properly test it and hopefully make a second prototype
soon. The material costs were quite high which would be quite good to
reduce.

I attach a collection of images and some info on presses that can be used as
inspiration. (I think it would be really interesting to experiment with the
screw press with the weights).

Thanks for your support!

All the best,

Nora