[Stoves] Need help in designing a small refrigerator for rural huts.

nari phaltan nariphaltan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 22:19:49 CST 2013

Hello!

I am writing to you for your help in designing a small refrigerator for
rural poor.

In our work with the poorest families in western Maharashtra in India, we
find that besides the need of good light and clean cooking technologies
these hut dwellers also need a small refrigerator to keep overnight their
milk (those with goats do not need one!) and leftovers so that they are not
spoiled.

We have been providing good light and clean cooking system to about 23 huts
which do not have any electricity via our lanstove (
www.nariphaltan.org/kerolanstove.pdf). Lanstove provides excellent light
and in its heat cooks a complete meal for a family of 5.

We would like to explore the possibility of using the heat of lanstove
(1500 W, flue gas temperature ~ 350degrees Celsius) to also run a batchwise
absorption refrigerator unit which can cool a box of 1.5’ X 1.5’ X 1.5’ to
about 100C for 10-15 hours. In the old times there were Icyballs but they
used Ammonia/water mixture which is hazardous. I believe many new mixtures
may have come now.

Quite a few units running on evaporation of water have been developed but
in humid weather they do not work and hence the choice of absorption system.

This is a great technological challenge to develop a small, safe
refrigerator running without electricity and will be a great contribution
of technologists to the people at the bottom of pyramid.

I will be delighted to hear from you and also provide any other information
you need.

Warm regards,

Anil

--
Nimbkar Agricultural Research Institute (NARI)
Tambmal, Phaltan-Lonand Road
e-mail:nariphaltan at gmail.com
          anilrajvanshi at gmail.com

http://www.nariphaltan.org