[Stoves] New paper on atmospheric Black Carbon

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Fri Jan 18 00:49:06 CST 2013

Dear Crispin

Thanks very much. Your $6 per tonne CO2 carbon credit provides an excellent
perspective on the relative value of Carbon Credits, in comparison to the
value of charcoal/biochar as fuel. Certainly, it is far more sensible for a
charcoal producer to sell his charcoal as fuel, for about $200 per tonne,
than to sell it for $20 per tonne, for the carbon credit payment.

The case for biochar is very interesting. Given that the charcoal has a
value of say $200 per tonne as fuel, it would have to have a value of about
$180 per tonne as biochar, plus the $20 Carbon Credit to justify use of the
charcoal as biochar, rather than as fuel.

An Australian Government study found that biochar would be economic for
Farmers if its price was about $50 or less per tonne. Regrettably, I don't
have a reference to that Report. Perhaps someone on the list can provide a
reference to it, or, provide references to other reports showing that
charcoal is worth more as Biochar, than it is as fuel.

Thanks again for your helpful perspective.

Kevin