[Stoves] New paper on atmospheric Black Carbon

Carefreeland at aol.com Carefreeland at aol.com
Sat Jan 19 22:36:15 CST 2013

Kevin and all,
    I'm sure you can remember when rock coal could be  bought by utilities
for $5- $10/ per ton by the barge load, $25/ ton for a small  dump truck
load of fireplace lump coal. It wasn't that long ago. I remember my  landscape
buddies buying road de- icing salt for similar prices from Ohio River  docks
in the 1980's .  It's hard to believe the price of most fuel (  and other
commodities) is so high now.
    Nat Gas, produced from shale is now becoming  DIRT cheap. It's
unfortunately being flared on a massive scale in North Dakota  just to get at the
oil there. When the Bakkan oil wells run out, they will still  be producing
gas for hundreds of years. The new wet gas wells just drilled this  year here
in the Ohio Utica shale are some of the most productive in the world.  The
first big discovery, Chessapeake's,  Buell well, produced 9  million cu ft./
day. It single handedly DOUBLED Ohio's entire state  gas production at the
time. Gulfport Energy announced a 29 million cu ft./ day  well discovery in
December after two others nearly that big. Many Marcellas  shale wells are
shut in instead of producing gas, due to the low prices.  Half of the
Marcellas shale wells have untapped Utica shale below the Marcellas.  LNG pumps are
already being installed in the South as we speak to replace diesel  fueled
semi's. LNG, CNG and propane WILL  rapidly replace a lot of  bulk
transportation fuels, particularly, smoky diesel fuel.
    Who would burry charcoal, instead of replacing rock  coal, when
metallurgic coal is running $100- $200+ per ton? The positive effect  is better,
because besides the atmospheric benefits, the elimination or  reduction of
mountain top removal, open pits, or underground mining, are even  better goals.
I think the carbon credit should apply here as well. Besides why  should we
not conserve the rock coal for the distant future if ever needed?
    I've crossed West Virgina and Pennsylvania quite a  number of times
making hot shot deliveries lately. The coal lobby is posting  bill boards
everywhere criticizing "Obama's war on coal".  The truth  be known, more jobs
have been created drilling and producing natural gas there  from Marcellas
shale, then have ever been lost reducing coal mining. Coal mining  is mostly
done now by a very few men with giant power hungry  machines. Coal is being
replaced more by natural gas  than anything due to low price and abundance, not
the EPA.
    Charcoal should by buried only when the economics  of the agriculture
benefits outweigh the benefits of replacing fossil fuels.  This has to be
weighed on a case by case basis.

    Dan Dimiduk

In a message dated 1/18/2013 1:49:16 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,