[Stoves] is this new?

Marc Pare mpare at gatech.edu
Fri Jan 18 22:26:06 CST 2013

So, I was playing around with burners on a Belonio rice husk gasifier last
night.
If you're not familiar, there are a bunch of photos of the basic design on
google image: batch stove
images<https://www.google.com/search?q=belonio+batch+stove&sugexp=chrome,mod%3D16&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=kh76UMnkBOiriAforYHQCw&biw=1282&bih=717&sei=lB76UMTnOaSjigfp3YGgDw>

I slid a metal cylinder into the opening of the top of the reactor, leaving
a gap along the sides. Here's a picture:
[image: Inline image 1]
Now, normally when you take the burner top off of these stoves, there's no
combustion inside because there is no secondary air available.
Well, I saw a roaring flame inside after sliding in the metal cylinder
(option #2 in the diagram)

As far as I can tell, the cylinder acts like a chimney, causing a pressure
drop which sucks producer gas from the bed, not allowing it to escape
through the gap on the sides.
As a result, secondary air sinks through the gap and you get combustion at
the bottom of the cylinder.

Has anyone seen something like this before? I can't think of any examples.
I called it a "heat pump" in my field notes.

With the right dimensions is might be a good auto-regulating burner: more
producer gas producers more heat, pulling in more secondary air.
I think it could be useful for charcoal stoves as well as TLUDs.
I measured lower CO than usual with Belonio burners. Similar excess air
levels (though I only tested two sizings of the metal cylinder).

Marc Paré
B.S. Mechanical Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology | Université de Technologie de Compiègne

http://notwandering.com