[Stoves] is this new?

Marc Pare mpare at gatech.edu
Sat Jan 19 22:58:49 CST 2013

Crispin – thanks as always for the generous response.

By coincidence I had read your "Benefits of Heat
Recycling<http://www.vrac.iastate.edu/ethos/ethos05/proceedings2004/presentations/pembertonpigottbigimprovements.pdf>"
paper just a few days ago because Cecil Cook mentioned the Vesto and Anglo
SupraNova in Battambang last week.

Are there any schematics of the Vesto stove online? I can only find videos,
and it's hard for me to judge the air flow patterns from them.
I am amazed at the penetration of the secondary air (50mm!) in this video:

[image: Inline image 1]

I wonder is this arrangement could cut out the central air tube in the
JetCity Stoveworks Jatropha stove posted a few days ago?
If so, then you could decrease the diameter of the stove and maintain the
same power (since now you've got fuel where you used to just have an empty
tube)
Or, perhaps more interesting, you can keep the diameter, run at a lower
specific gasification rate, shorten the height of the stove, and
consequently reduce your chimney height (guesstimating about half from my
recent pressure drop experiments with rice hull) without sacrificing run
time or stove power.

(this is not meant as criticism of Otto and other JetCity folks, just
playing around with the concept)

Marc Paré
B.S. Mechanical Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology | Université de Technologie de Compiègne

my cv, etc. | http://notwandering.com