[Stoves] Example of missed opportunities was Re: is this new?

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Tue Jan 22 13:12:34 CST 2013

Greetings stovers,

Crispin wrote:

<Big snip>

The matter of refuelability is very important to users. I can report from
the field that people in a great many cases do not like the following:

Having to decide in advance of cooking how much fuel to add to the chamber
before ignition

Not being able to significantly refuel the stove while it is running

Not having significant control over the power

Not being able to use unprocessed fuel (meaning not cut and or chopped)

Not having any smoke to flavour the food

Not having hot coals to roast food on

Not being able to turn it off

Having to deal with end-of-run smoky ash.

What a great list. Seems the best stove for this list is the Rocket Stove
with some device to quickly remove the fire when cooking is completed. Use
the hot coals for roasting or smother for next time. I see nowhere in the
list; Not producing dirty air. It seems they want smoke to flavor their
food.

Where does this leave us -> building clean stoves that will not be used.

Must be (forced) regulation, attitude (want to be healthy) or education
(effects of poor quality air) changes before clean stoves will be used is
the way I look at it.

Thanks

Frank

Frank Shields