[Stoves] WBT (never ending)

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Wed Jan 30 12:56:09 CST 2013

Stovers,

Unless I’m missing something (probably am) it seems we are approaching the WBT trying to make accurate readings using simple equipment that does not measure the components we need. The components needed are: IN Fuel: total weights of 1) carbon, 2) hydrogen and 3) moisture. OUT Fuel: total weights of 1) Carbon, 2) hydrogen, 3) moisture and 4) heat in the fuel. Following these main energy constituents of the fuel we determine the amount used in the process.  The procedure could go like this: Determine the weight of CH and moisture of the fuel added. AFTER Add spent fire mix to water to determine heat within (increase water temperature). Mix then drain water into a container where 100 mls filtered through a glass fiber filter and measure the CH to determine the carbon and hydrogen in the total fines drained. Then dry, grind and subsample for carbon and hydrogen in the solid material left. We still lack a moisture reading in the left over fuel but I think starting with low moisture fuel and timing the last fuel addition to the fuel box there will be none left.

As for the Simmer and Boiling part of the test:  The microwave oven I have has a setting for baked potatoes. Wash and pat dry. When the oven detects moisture vapor(?) the timer starts for cooking.  What is the detector (?) and is this something we could use to standardize the process?  Perhaps located above the pot of water?

Thanks

Frank

Frank Shields

Control Laboratories, Inc.