[Stoves] FW: ocean acidification - ON THE SIDE

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Fri Jul 5 01:37:06 CDT 2013

See my comments below in response to an email from Crispin.

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 6:59 AM, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <
crispinpigott at gmail.com> wrote:

> No you did not say the oceans are acidic.

But at one point in this conversation, you claimed that I did.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> Your cited source upon which your message was based did.

None of the sources that I quoted said the oceans were acidic. The central
point they were all making was that the oceans were becoming more less
alkaline and therefore more acidic.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> The ‘acidification of the oceans caused by human emissions of CO2’ is
> probably, arguably, the most ridiculous cliam even made with regard to the
> global warming biz.

No, not at all ridiculous.
If you disagree with someone, please so not use terms like "ridiculous" or
"worthy of ridicule".

****

> ** **
>
> It is absolutely intended to mislead the public into thinking that the
> ocean is going to turn acidic and eat the shells off the mollusks and many
> claims of exactly that consequence have been made. Tim Flannery is partial
> to such ridiculous claims.

No one here intends to mislead the public.
Again, please watch your language.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> We have to be responsible enough in our communications to try to filter
> out the hundreds of bogus claims about global warming and potential
> impacts. We cannot just go on repeating any and everything that alarms and
> misleads.

Oceans are becoming more acidic, and this is a very serious situation.
Once again I ask you to read:
http://www.sightline.org/research/northwest-ocean-acidification/
http://www.sightline.org/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2012/02/OA-primer1.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_acidification
http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/co2/story/Ocean+Acidification
http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/co2/story/What+is+Ocean+Acidification%3F

The people who wrote these articles are not saying anything that is
ridiculous or misleading.
They should be taken seriously.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> One guy (this is most far end of the ridiculous scale) is saying
> individual storms can be traced to the emissions of specific big companies
> and they should be sued for extra damages caused by them. Can you believe
> that? It gives one and indication of just how stupid they think the public
> is.

There are a lot of people who say a lot of crazy things. But that does not
mean that we should dismiss and ridicule the entire body of science that
sees global warming, climate change and ocean acidification as real
problems.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> What exactly does your referenced guy mean when he says the oceans have
> become 30% more acidic from CO2? This is technical nonsense – babbling
> number and words hoping it means something.

No, this is not nonsense or babble.
Again, why do you use such language to make your point?
Read the links that I have just given you, and this is clearly explained.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> The pH of the oceans varies from 7.8 to 8.3 (a huge range). It has,
> arguably, moved from an ‘average’ of 8.3 to 8.2. It is very slightly less
> alkaline. The oceans have HUGE buffering capacity and multiple buffers that
> have not even kicked in yet because there is not nearly enough CO2 to feed
> them.  These things have been studied to death.

Does the average surface pH of the world's oceans vary from 7.8 to 8.3?
Are you sure about this?

*Between 1751 and 1994 surface ocean pH is estimated to have decreased from
approximately 8.25 to
8.14,[4]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_acidification#cite_note-jacob05-4>representing
an increase of almost 30% in
H+ <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydron_%28chemistry%29> ion concentration
in the world's oceans.[5]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_acidification#cite_note-pmid18536730-5>
[6] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_acidification#cite_note-scor-int-6>*
*Since the industrial
revolution<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_revolution>began,
it is estimated that surface ocean pH has dropped by slightly more
than 0.1 units on the logarithmic
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logarithm>scale of pH, representing an
approximately 29% increase in
H+
, and it is estimated that it will drop by a further 0.3 to 0.5 pH units
(an additional doubling to tripling of today's
post-industrial<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-industrial_society>acid
concentrations) by 2100 as the oceans absorb more anthropogenic
CO
2, the impacts being most severe for coral reefs and the Southern
Ocean<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Ocean>
.[1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_acidification#cite_note-cald03-1>[9
] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_acidification#cite_note-orr05-9>[21]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_acidification#cite_note-raven05-21>These
changes are predicted to continue rapidly as the oceans take up more
anthropogenic CO
2 from the atmosphere. *
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_acidification

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> What exactly was your intention with the message to the stoves group? Did
> you think that stovers will accept that CO2 emitted by stoves is turning
> into carbonic acid (the obvious intention was they should think it mean all
> of it).

The CO2 emitted by fossil fuel stoves puts CO2 into the atmosphere, and
some of this CO2 ends up in the oceans and contributes to acidification. I
never said that all of it ends up in our oceans. Please do not infer things
that I have not said.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> I do not want to embarrass you by pointing out the facts.

What are the facts that you are pointing to?
Do you mean to say that ocean acidification is not a real concern?

> You are doing interesting work and I have, as you well know, supported you
> for a long time, very directly. The stoves list is for stoves, they say. We
> are already getting enough carbon trading related message without trying to
> deal with the climate sciences.

How can we go about designing stoves if we do not take into account human
health as well as the health of our entire planet?