[Stoves] on ocean acidification

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Fri Jul 5 19:31:28 CDT 2013

 A stove that makes both syngas and biochar can be just as clean-burning as
any other type of stove. Nothing is sacrificed in terms of human health if
a stove makes biochar. But when biochar is made, there is a benefit that
goes far beyond human health: CO2 is lock away in the soil for a very long
time, and does not make its way into the air or oceans. Also we have
demonstrated in over 20 experiments in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia, how
biochar greatly enhances plant growth, while reducing costly inputs of
fertilizer and water in attaining similar levels of growth.

The beautiful lake, which lies right at the center of the city of Dalat
where I live, is always heavily polluted with agricultural run off. Huge
areas of the lake are covered from time to time with dead fish. If biochar
and compost were added to the soil surrounding this lake, most of this
run-off could be curtailed. The Gulf of Mexico has a huge dead zone, mostly
caused by agricultural run-off. See:
http://science.time.com/2013/06/19/this-years-gulf-of-mexico-dead-zone-could-be-the-biggest-on-record/?xid=newsletter-asia-weekly

*The major factor driving the size of the dead zone—beyond changing
flooding patterns—is the use and overuse of fertilizers in America’s rich
Midwestern corn belt. The U.S. Geological Survey estimated that 153,000
metric tons of nutrients flowed down the swollen Mississippi and
Atchafalaya rivers during May—a 16% increase over the nutrient load average
seen during the past 34 years. And as James Greiff of Bloomberg points out
in a recent piece<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/print/2013-06-14/gulf-of-mexico-s-extinction-by-ethanol.html>,
those nutrients are used disproportionately to feed one particular crop:
corn. What’s more, 40 percent of the U.S. corn crop is devoted to making
ethanol, which fuel companies must blend with gasoline under a
congressional mandate. The Gulf dead zone is yet another reason for
Congress to kill that mandate.*

A TLUD that makes biochar and then burns it is not ideal for two reasons:
1) the burning of the biochar takes place at a considerable distance from
the pot and is inefficient, and 2) there is no biochar that gets
incorporated into the soil.

Once again, when we go about designing TLUDs, if possible, we should
utilize waste biomass, not fossil fuels, and we should make biochar and
incorporate it into the soil. Our focus should not be exclusively on human
health. If poor people could afford fossil fuel gas, the health issue would
be fully addressed. Does this mean that we would no longer have to design
stoves for them?

And finally, should we not be using in our own kitchens the stoves that we
design? Why is it OK for us to go on using fossil fuels to cook our food?
Why do we conveniently shift the burden of sustainability onto poor people?

Thanks.
Paul Olivier

Paul A. Olivier PhD
26/5 Phu Dong Thien Vuong