[Stoves] on ocean acidification

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Sat Jul 6 03:48:36 CDT 2013

Crispin,

You write: *
In the case of rain, which has a CO2 content of over 10,000 ppm it is
'50,000% more acidic' than ocean water at pH 8.2. In fact rain really is
acidic.*

Yes, the rain can be quite acidic. But a great deal of this acidity is not
due to natural causes:

*Farming, livestock husbandry, and the combustion of fossil fuels cause
excess sulfur dioxide, ammonia, and nitrogen oxides to be released to the
atmosphere, where they are transformed into nitric acid and sulfuric acid.
Though much of that acid is deposited on land (since it does not remain in
the air for long), some of it can be carried in the air all the way to the
coastal ocean. *
* *

* *

*When nitrogen and sulfur compounds from the atmosphere are mixed into
coastal waters, the researchers found, the change in water chemistry was as
much as 10 to 50 percent of the total changes caused by acidification from
carbon dioxide.*
http://www.whoi.edu/main/news-releases/2007?tid=3622&cid=31286

Thanks.
Paul Olivier