[Stoves] Aprovecho Stove Camp

Cecil Cook cec1863 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 04:49:36 CDT 2013

Ditto the appreciation.

Can you name, describe and link us to the rocket stove from the
Philippines?  Is it the three component clay ECO-KALAN C stove that was
recently introduced to the stove discussion group by Rebecca A Vermeer?

If it is this stove, can someone explain to me how the cost to produce
these three components comes - as reported by Rebecca - to $25?  How can
the cost of production for a fired clay stove produced by local potters and
ceramic workers in the Philippines possibly cost that much?  In Java I am
sure the indigenous stove makers would be able to produce them for $2.50 to
$3 each; the retail price would be perhaps $4 to $5.

If the same ECO-KALAN C stove is on display at Stove Camp, then can
somebody who is attending the camp find out how a ceramic stove that would
probably retail for $4 to $5 in Indonesia (all costs in) can possibly cost
a charitable stove agent in the Philippines $28 per stove to produce and
bring to market??..I understand that Rebecca is including all the cost to
her stove charity to produce, store, transport, distribute, promote,
demonstrate and finally to market an improved stove.

There must be well established traditional stoves on the markets in her
area that sell for less than 500 pesos each ($11.50) and stove customers
are simply not willing to spend an additional 700 pesos ($16) - which may
take a low income household a month of scrimping to save - to purchase the
higher performance ECO-KALAN C stove. In the end the battle to take and
hold market share has to be fought and won in the local stove markets.  The
benefits offered to a stove buyer's household have to be obvious to
consumers who will not be willing to give up the familiar conveniences of
their baseline stoves.  It will be *dramatic reductions in fuel collected
or purchased* together with equally dramatic improvements in

*(i.)    speed of stove ignition and smoke production during start up, *
*(ii.)   ability of a stove to burn damp or wet wood, *
*(iii.)  the ability of a stove to combust multiple biomass fuels, *
*(iv.)  the capacity to turn up a stove's power to accelerate the cooking
process or to cook for special *
*        occasions **and the extended family, *
*(v.)   the capacity of an improved stove to performs both household and
home industry functions  with*
*        equal **facility, *
*(vi.)  little or no change required in stove operation techniques and
knowledge to successfully cook on an *
*        improved stove a**nd to **get full benefit of its higher
performance, and*
*(vii.) the capacity of an improved stove to replicate all of the essential
stove work functions traditionally*
*        performed **by the dominant baseline stove(s) or by radically
improving one or more specific stove*
*        work functions **such as introducing a TLUD stove that cooks very
clean thereby **minimizing soot *
*accumulation on **pots **and pans and n in a **much cleaner kitchen
possible,*

e savings of money, time and effort to low income households at the Bottom
of the Pyramid rather that 'saving' the lungs, eyes and health of stove
users that will determine whether new stoves will gradually gain an
increasing share of the 'traditional' stove market.