[Stoves] Pot shells / Fin shells

Lanny Henson lannych at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 28 11:12:42 CDT 2013

Fins/ pegs/ pot shells/ rocket pots.
If you are going to use fins they should be attached to a pot skirt that fits snug and stays on the pot until it needs to be cleaned. This keeps the soot if any contained and away from the cook.
Instead of a fin shell I am now using a "pot shell" that totally encloses the pot. The pot shell has a top tray that can be easily slid back for easy access to the pot. This is actually easier that removing a lid and another benefit with total enclosure is the pot is heated from the top as well as the sides and bottom.
The top tray can also dry wood and warm food items.
Another benefit of the pot shell is that it makes cooking in the rain possible.
The construction is very simple and it can be built from most any material that is non combustible.
A section of drum fits over a 40 qt sauce pot or a 60 qt stock pot. The pot handles may have to be bent in a little or the pot shell can be slightly oval to fit over the handles.
A pot shell requires a flat top stove body or a burner under a flat surface.
I believe the pot shell is the biggest bang for the buck to improve a stoves performance. They are cheep and easy to build. They add draft without allowing too much, they capture the heat, and allow cooking outdoor in the rain.
If the pot shell design helps your stove, run with it, and that goes for everyone.
I will have a video later today showing its use
Lanny