[Stoves] Pot shells / Fin shells

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 12:39:02 CDT 2013

Dear Lanny

I wonder if you can help me out with more numbers. The comparison between a
trough with ends and a pot is interesting.

Can you provide some water boiling volumes (initial) and mass of fuel
burned? To check heat transfer efficiency the char mass will be needed. To
check the system efficiency (fuel efficiency) the char should be ignored in
most cases. What I would like to do is calculate the two and see if the
surface area of the pot and vat are important considerations. They should
be, but as I often say, never assume anything.

Best to check.

The effective heating area of the vat might be the sheet length x Sin(45) x
Sheet width, or it may be sheet length x width. If the heat transfer
efficiency per sq cm is the same, then the matter will soon be settled with
a calculator.

Thanks
Crispin