[Stoves] Pot shells / Fin shells

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 16:14:38 CDT 2013

Dear Lanny

The problem is the missing figure is the mass of fuel when the pot as boiled
so I can't get an efficiency without making some (big) guesses.

If the energy needed to simmer the rice for 30 minutes is 20% of the boiling
energy, the system efficiency (which is the analogy of fuel efficiency) is
34%, conditioned on the following:

If the charcoal remaining is useable in the next fire, it can be treated as
'unused fuel'. If you want an accurate figure, you would have to use this
duel in a new fire and get the performance so that the amount of char
remaining is the same as what you put in during that burn.

The 34% figure assumes the char is not burnable in the next fire.

If it is (all of it) the system efficiency is 51% based on the simmering
assumption.

It should be remembered that the thermal efficiency should consider the
thermal mass of the pot (mass x specific x change in temperature. If it
does, the reported figure will be higher.