[Stoves] Hand-makng small roundish briquettes:

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Mon Jul 29 14:12:20 CDT 2013

Richard cc List and Dan

Thanks for the "Not" version below. This makes more sense in terms of your following sentences. I would be surprised if the mix I worked with was optimum. But hand-forming pressure came came out better than I expected.

I did listen to all the videos you mentioned and that I could find on making smallish briquettes suitable for TLUDs. Nothing I saw compared to the success I think being seen for the "holey briquette" (a very nice shape and szie) I will next send a separate note on the charcoal-making potential of that).

So, I would still appreciate hearing of any experiences by anyone on making smaller units (a size in between pellets and the holey briquette) - either with machines or by hand. Since my first message on hand-making, I now suggest the name of "thumbettes" - as they are the size and shape of that portion of ones' right hand thumb grasped in a left clenched fist (or vice versa).

I think thumbettes (its making described in last message - a first squeeze in left hand, followed by only one squeeze in the right - done simultaneously). could be the fastest, cheapest way of making a small sufficiently-dense briquette-like fuel for TLUDs. I would rather it turn out more spherical, but I think this size/shape will work well enough. I hope others with a good mix will both try a two-hand/two-squeeze approach and suggest a better (faster, cheaper, etc) way to make a slurry-fed fuel that will densely pack for TLUds.

Richard (anyone) - any other "thumbette" or "spherette" ideas from your experience? Again - thanks for the correction.

Ron