[Stoves] Final (?) report on stove camp

Rebecca A. Vermeer ravermeer at telus.net
Tue Jul 30 22:30:01 CDT 2013

Dear Dean, Paul, Everyone at the Aprovecho Stove Camp 2013 and Stovers,
Dean, Paul ¨C Thank you very much for organizing Stove Camp 2013.  It was the first I attended and will be one of many in the future.  I had so much fun and great learning opportunities from EVERYONE there.  I also want to thank Larry Winiarski for fulfilling my request for a simple and affordable oven powered by the small family-sized Eco-Kalan for the street food vendors and Bingka (coconut rice cake) & Torta makers in the Philippines.  I tested this oven on Thursday night with 2 baking pans of Brownies ¨C Paul, Art and others can attest to the baking performance of the oven.  The small Eco-Kalan heated  the barrel oven within a few minutes and easily maintained the desired baking temperature (325 degrees F) for an hour.  For the Friday luncheon which Larry and I gave to the Stove Campers, I baked chicken drumsticks with my BBQ sauce at 400 deg initially and later turned down to 350 deg F.   The chicken was baked perfectly ¨C it was so good Simon Anderson could not resist raiding the leftovers at 1 AM Saturday!!  Larry¡¯s oven  is a darn good oven which I will further develop in the Philippines.  I also want to thank Mariela from the Dominican Republic,  David of the Dona Dora plancha stove fame and Bruce for getting the rice, salad and chicken curry prepared for the hungry multitude!!  THANK YOU ALL for giving me the opportunity to show what the family size Eco-Kalan and the Eco-Kalan-C can do.

Rebecca