[Stoves] The TLC burner is new and improved technology in biomass burner design.

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 15:59:43 CDT 2013

Dear Lanny

Thanks for the interesting review. I think it will be of interest to the
viewers to know that a pot heated all around will probably have to have a
lid on it to prevent the food absorbing smells from the combustion. This is
so important in certain regions that users can be observed waiting until 'a
certain point' during the ignition of a stove before putting on the pot to
avoid any contamination.

There are cases where the smoke is desirable but that is more unusual.

So there is no big issue for the cooker, it is just that the lid will
probably have to be on when cooking and the flat lid-thing will have to
clear the handle.

I like the side loading. It is one approach to refuelling TLUDS's (top-lit
updraft-started stoves). There is a variation on the theme in Mongolia which
is a TLUD with hopper fed continuation, and it generates >50 Watts of
electricity too.

The TLC burner ("Top Lit Combustor") is new technology.  I believe it is
step forward toward improved biomass cooking stove design.

The TLC is a batch-fueled burner to which you can add fuel without creating
smoke to boost the heat and extend the cooking time.

This video demonstrates the "Top Lit Combustor" and the 'School Lunch
Cooker's" amazing capability to burn damp and wet wood outdoor in the rain.
Even adding a chunk wet concrete block does not stop this burner.

The "School Lunch Cooker" uses the "TLC burner",  and my  "Exhausted Pot
Shell"  to cook outdoor in all weather.

This stove just wants to cook!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP2FVCeR8QQ

Lanny Henson