[Stoves] propensity for density not always 'compensity'

Legacy Mail rstanley at legacyfound.org
Wed Jun 12 10:05:08 CDT 2013

The problem with the heating of the mass is also compounded by the fact that the augur if one is being used, wears out quickly. The hardened steel augurs I have seen had to be rebuilt or replaced every few weeks. the other option (between high pressure temperature extrusion and at the opposite end, reverting to added binders is the softening and randomising of alignment of the fibers inherent in many biomass materials. That process requires working pressures of only 12 to 18 kgs per cm^2 , often ( if paper is involved) far less than that. Increasing density is more a matter of infilling the "hairy matrix" with denser materials. Normal range is .3 to .5g/cc but adding dense fines of eg., char or hard wood sawdust , to a really well pulped fibrous slurry  example can increase it to .8.
really high density briquettes are often harder to ignite. more duration and better for commercial heating or other process operations--true, but the issue for the household cook is often more one of ease of startup and rapid rise to working temperature with a minimum of smoke. A medium to lighter density briquette
is often a better choice in that setting.

Sent from my iPhone