[Stoves] Individual exposure to particulates

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 11:04:38 CDT 2013

Dear Bob

For total exposure, the CO is a better predictor of PM than trying to assume
it in real time (which is pretty far from the mark). The reason is that in
simple combustion the PM tends to come early and the CO later, not overall
maybe the proxy is OK.

What are you using for the CO exposure? The HOBO is no longer available and
has created a problem.

Thanks
Crispin

+++++

Glad to see the increased interest in health on the stove list. It has
always been a primary concern for us in the Maasai Stove and Solar project.
Our chimney stove and the fact that women never return to three stones, and
our monitoring particulates and CO as well as family testimony show indoor
pollution is way down.  24 hour home levels at a certain place near the
stove are easy to measure.  But for health impact  we need 24 hour
particulate exposure averages for individual people.  Kids go outside.  Kids
are of different heights.  Sleep in different spaces. Etc.     We have
inexpensive CO measuring devices that are easy to attach to the clothing of
a child or the cooking woman of the house.  We hang one near the stove next
to the Berkeley Air particulate monitor.  We then compare the CO readings:
the ones on the devices worn by the people and the one near the particulate
monitor over 24 hours. We would like to use the ratio as a stand-in for the
ratio of household particulate levels and individual exposures to
particulates. I have some ideas about the strengths and weaknesses of this
approach.  But rather than list them I would like to get comments, ideas,
methods from you.  You can use the stove list or my personal email.
RBTVL at aol.com.   Thanks.  Bob Lange.