[Stoves] Clean Burning TLUD

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 15:24:03 CDT 2013

Dear Paul A

Here is a result from one of the unreported TLUD coal burners tested
recently which I can share a little of without identifying it.

This is a medium power stove capable of heating a small home. The heating
eff was not spectacular – under 80% though at high power it was better. That
is not unusual.

The burn was 3 hours.  It was net negative on PM 2.5 emissions the last 2
hours, almost exactly, cleaning the ambient air (52 µg/m3) down to <15 µg so
not quite perfect. In fact that was all PM1.0.

Total PM2.5 was slightly less than 4 mg per Net MJ of heat in the home for a
saving of 99.4% measured against the baseline. I expect there will be 4
products in this range, all TLUD’s.

The CO was reasonable at 3.3 g/net MJ (space heating).

The fuel was Baganuur coal with about 20% moisture. Volatiles are about 50%.
It is very friable – I have pulled fronds out of it. It is layered and does
not break nicely into pieces, more like sections of a book. The only stove I
have seen burn it cleaner is a downdraft stove, fairly large, maybe 10-12 kW
which ran red hot.

So, there are some real numbers the wood burners can shoot for.