[Stoves] Chimneys, rice husks

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Tue Jun 18 09:20:21 CDT 2013

Dear Andrew

----- Original Message -----
From: <ajheggie at gmail.com>
To: "Discussion of biomass cooking stoves" <stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org>
Sent: Friday, June 14, 2013 7:02 PM
Subject: Re: [Stoves] Chimneys, rice husks

> [Default] On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 17:37:30 -0400,"Crispin
> Pemberton-Pigott" <crispinpigott at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>We are experimenting in Indonesia with draft-operated buoyancy balancers
>>to limit the pull to the ideal even when combustion conditions change in
>>the large wood stoves. They are easy and cheap to make. They are mounted
>>on the side of the stack of all oil furnaces.
>
> We have used them on pellet stoves (which have their own id fans) to
> limit draught on an insulated ss chimney that rose through 4 floors. I
> wasn't entirely happy with the idea as it raised the possibility of
> the boiler room getting combustion products if the seal wasn't good, I
> would have been happier if the air was sucked from outside. In fact
> there was subsequently a problem but this was down to poor
> maintenance.

# Sourcing the "stove air" and the "draft control air" from the outside is
certainly more "energy efficient" than exhausting heated room air. However,
if the "inside air" is of poor quality, then it can be a health advantage to
"dump the dirty air" into the stove, or to exhaust it through the draft
control damper.

# "Good ventillation practise" in a home that does not have stoves venting
into the Living Space would be to add "fresh air" at the rate of about 1/2
cubic meter per minute per person. In the case where "stove pollution" is
vented into the Living Space, the ventillation rate should be significantly
higher.

Best wishes,

Kevin