[Stoves] Insulation and stove life

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 14:39:48 CDT 2013

Dear Kevin

>Rice Hulls are very interesting. While they have a high percentage of highly siliceous ash, complete combustion could potentially make the ash available in a hazardous manner.  In Paul O's case, where he is interested in char making, I would guess that most of the siliceous components would remain embedded within the char particles, in a safe and non-hazardous manner. However, some ash particles would be liberated in that some of the char would be burned in the pyrolysis process.

It would seem obvious that power a TLUD with a fan, or any other manner of burning rice hulls, would make the ash loft into the room. That is what a fan does to ash.

The fact the rice hull is burned completely does not mean it is entering the room. If one adds a fan, then perhaps it does. The conclusion is that if there is a risk to people breathing the dust load created, then don’t put a fan on the system. If the risk is negligible, carry one.