[Stoves] Insulation and stove life

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Tue Jun 18 18:48:06 CDT 2013

Kevin,

You write:

*In Paul O's case, where he is interested in char making, I would guess
that most of the siliceous components would remain embedded within the char
particles, in a safe and non-hazardous manner. However, some ash particles
would be liberated in that some of the char would be burned in the
pyrolysis process. *

Does char get "burned" in the sense of being fully oxidized? I do not think
that this should happen under normal operating conditions. If the biomass
is uniform and if channeling does not occur, then there should not be
pockets where char has been reduced to ash. This only happens when too much
oxygen is supplied in one particular area of the reactor, as when
channeling occurs. When this happens the reactor wall gets extremely hot,
and CO2 is emitted at some of the burner holes.

That is why I believe that it is most helpful to work with a burner that
has a series of burner holes. *If CO2 is being generated, the operator
spots this in an instant.* I did not make a single change to the original
burner design that I inherited from Belonio. Any attempt to change the
diameter of the holes or distance between holes did not work at all. But I
did figure out how to scale up his burner design for much larger reactor
diameters.

The Belonio burner forces all of the syngas to the outside of the burner.
This is very important. This makes it easy to supply secondary air all
along the periphery of the burner. This I accomplished by means of a
housing that horizontally forces air into the vertically rising jets of
gas. Until I added a burner housing, all that I got out of the Belonio
burner was a long diffusion flame. With the housing, all of the flameletts
stay neatly under the pot.

Thanks.

Paul

Paul A. Olivier PhD