[Stoves] fossil fuel plants hit hard by solar and wind

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Sat Jun 22 21:28:15 CDT 2013

See comments below.

On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 8:03 AM, <rongretlarson at comcast.net> wrote:

> Paul:
>
>    Congratulations on a very nice looking new version.
>
> Can you give the weight of the 4 inches of pellets that lasted 40 minutes
> (so we might estimate the power level).

About one kg of pellets. But I had difficulties lowering the fan speed. The
fan speed was always too high and the burn was much too fast. If tried to
lower the fan speed, the fan stopped completely. A much less powerful fan
is needed for this unit.

> Could you modulate the power level with the fan control?

Not, very much.

> (apparently not down much -  but more fan speed)?

It was difficult to reduce fan speed so as to produce a smaller flame. The
fan was surely operating in the lower 5% of its power range. But if I
turned up the fan, I could easily produce an intense flame - far too
powerful for ordinary cooking.

It was easy to light the pellets. But when I put the burner on the reactor,
it took a few minutes for the flames within the reactor to go out. Before
the flames within the reactor went out, the entire burner at one point
turned red hot. The fan, of course, was supplying too much air. I have
never seen such heat from a 150 reactor.

> Could you have put in 8 inches (20 cm) of pellets? and gotten to 80 minute
> run time?

The volume of the reactor is 3.44 liters. At a bulk density of about 600
kg/m3, the reactor can hold about 2 kgs of pellets. At a normal rate of
consumption, this quantity of pellets should give about 90 minutes of run
time.

Paul Olivier

> Ron

Paul A. Olivier PhD