[Stoves] Ph.D. Thesis on TLUD Stoves.

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Thu Jun 27 21:02:38 CDT 2013

Dear Ron,

Paul O.'s comment brought to mind a major difference between ND and FA
(Natural Draft and Forced Air) TLUD stoves.

I think that when the flow of air (?? and the resultant superficial
velocity Sv???) is low, the small combustion at the MPF (migrating
pyrolytic front) is mainly  or perhaps nearly 100% of pyrolytic gases
close to where they exit from the biomass that is being heated.

But when the flow of air is higher (as in the FA in the Oorja), it is
possible for the incoming O2 to reach the surface of the newly created
char layer on the outside of each piece of biomass.   This would result
in consumption of char DURING the MPF period (which is the foundation of
the TLUD stove operation),

I have not yet read the thesis (I am working in Uganda right now).

Can you or someone try to get the thesis author into this discussion?
And perhaps Dr. Prof. Mukunda also at IISc-Bangalore?   And Dr. Tom Reed?

And CONGRATULATIONS to the new Doctor from all of us on the Stoves Listserv.

Paul

Paul S. Anderson, PhD  aka "Dr TLUD"
Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu   Skype: paultlud  Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com