[Stoves] Ph.D. Thesis on TLUD Stoves.

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Thu Jun 27 19:03:53 CDT 2013

Ron,

When char is consumed in a fan-powered TLUD, several negative factors come
into play. At the point where char is consumed, hot zones are created,
giving rise to temperatures that are truly brutal on all types of metal. As
a consequence of such high heat, the walls of the reactor can be degraded
in a matter of months, often times, in just a few weeks.

When char is consumed, the descent of the pyrolitic front is not uniform.
The syngas generally contains a lot of CO2. An inefficiency in heat
transfer is created as energy gets released within the reactor at a
considerable distance from the pot. To compensate for this loss in heat
transfer, the operator might increase the speed of the fan, and in so
doing, make matters worse.

If syngas contains a lot of CO2, I wonder how this affects the combustion
CO and H2 within the syngas. If CO and H2 are diluted with CO2, do they
fully combust when exposed to secondary air? Is there a link between the
presence of CO2 prior to the combustion of the syngas and the presence of
CO after the combustion of the syngas?

When char gets consumed, pockets of ash are created, and they might easily
contain high levels of cristobalite. This is especially true in the case of
rice hulls, which contain high levels of amorphous silica. When char gets
consumed, the quality of the biochar produced is compromised. Ash is not
biochar, and biochar is not ash.

Thanks.
Paul Olivier

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 2:43 AM, <rongretlarson at comcast.net> wrote:

> Julien  and list
>
> 1.  Thanks very much for providing this cite.   I have read most and find
> it to be a well done thesis.   I wish we had more like it.
>
> 2.  The concepts of char and TLUDs are in here thoroughly.  But nothing on
> the idea of a stove designed to make char.  All char is presumed and
> desired to be consumed.
>
> 3.   My conclusion (would like to hear more) is that a good case is made
> (not intentionally) for NOT consuming the produced char in a TLUD  (this
> one fan-powered and widely sold in India as the "Oorja"  (started by BP)).
> Very little gain in overall efficiency as the char is consumed.
>
> 4.  A major advance was his study of the importance of ash in this "char"
> period as a poor radiator - thereby responsible for (undesired) high char
> temperatures.
>
> 5.   Most everything shown as a function of superficial velocity (Vs) -
> with 16-17 cm/sec shown as key dividing point in stove behavior..  Above
> which velocity one swtches from char production to char consumption.   I
> have not seen this before.
>
>     For his highly automated fan system, measuring Vs was apparently not
> so difficult.  Anyone able to give a way to get an easy estimate of Vs,
> when there is only natural draft?
>
> 6.  Quite a bit on the importance of low emissions of CO.
>
> 7.   Good information on both the experimental and computational side of
> top-lit (packed bed) stoves.  Not much here for rocket stoves.
>
> Have I got #3 right?
>
> Ron

Paul A. Olivier PhD
26/5 Phu Dong Thien Vuong