[Stoves] Stove Testing Follow Up Comments before GACC Forum (Testing Centers & GACC)

Christina Espinosa c_espinosa1 at u.pacific.edu
Wed Mar 13 17:44:22 CDT 2013

 Hi Stovers,

This is a follow up to the email that Paul sent out addressing stove
testing. I think transparency is really important if we hope to have an
large global impact. For those people who wish to distribute stoves I think
that having stove testing results and information compiled and reported
publicly, aids these types of organizations and enterprises in the decision
to distribute a particular stove. It also gives us a starting point to
assess the impact of our work in the field. I think that funding should be
available to achieve and report these results for the stoves in the field.
Testing should be ran independently of the organization producing the
stove. Here is some beginning thoughts on what information could be
complied and made public (listed in the table below). This information
could be collected by the testing centers and complied by the GACC. I am
looking for feedback, ideas, thoughts? I know this could be resisted by
some in the field but I think its a good way for us to share this
information and ease the research process for people looking
to distribute stoves. The "tier rating" listed in the table is the
standards that will be released this Fall.

 *Basic Information*

*Areas of Work*

*Stove Performance*

*Consumer Adoption*

*Durability*

*Maintenance*

*Organization Name/ Stove Name*

*Stove Type/Fuel Type/ Cost of Stove*

*Countries of Manufacture*

*Countries of Distribution*

*Lab Testing Results*

*Field Testing Results*

*Stove usage and displacement in the field*

*Stove Durability*

*Stove Maintenance*

Tier Rating

Tier

Rating

% of users using only the new stove

% of users that completely discontinued use of stove

% of users that use the old stove and the new stove at the same time

% of users that use the old stove some days and the new stove other days

-Average life of stove

-Replacement cost of stove

What kind of maintenance is involved to keep stove performance at high
levels?

What are the costs involved?

What kind of time is involved

--