[Stoves] Second report from Phnom Penh

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Tue Mar 19 11:39:12 CDT 2013

Hi again all (adding Dean Still)

1. Very good opening plenary with lead off by UC Berkeley Prof Kirk Smith - the most well known world expert in stove health topics (Household Air Pollution (HAP) now #4 killer - about 4 million per year. Emphasized difficulty of making changes. He was followed by U Illinois professor Tami Bond, who was the main speaker at the last Ethos conference and who has also done a lot of stove testing.

2. I then attended a breakout session chaired by Christa Roth of GIZ. She also was at last ETHOS meeting and has great summary book on char-making and gasifier stoves. Great talk by Paul Means of Burn Lab (Seattle) on the (mostly transportation) reasons NOT to work with charcoal made in remote areas.

3. I missed the next plenary on major country GACC programs, but attended a well-done breakout survey of stove activities in China.
Here Dean Still raved about the capabilities of the Chinese stove community. In particular the Stove Tec main Chinese partner was there (Mr. Chen or Shen). Apparently there is little activity with char-making stoves (I will try to get Dean's view on that). But at the same Chinese meeting today, I met several groups that are working in China on char-making stoves. GACC might have a list of Chinese stove manufacturers .
Talked with several Chinese forestry experts (and China is doing quite well in this area)..

4. Tonight was the main banquet - during most of which we were entertained by 25-30 young Cambodian folk dancers/musicians..

5. Afterwards, I visited the small display area of stoves - maybe 20 in all and maybe 5 were char making. Gustavo Pena of El Salvador showed me a char-making stove of his own design with lots of "attachments" (including an oven) [couldn't find a website] . Also saw several stoves being sold in China by Dylan Maxwell of Novotera and Planetstove. More coming on this.

Again I hope others will jump in.

Ron