[Stoves] cheap = ugly ?

teri.bhopal teri.bhopal at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 21:25:13 CDT 2013

Appearances do matter! In rural India, where I work, I've noticed a
tendency among households to choose products which look more characteristic
of city life. I've seen households preferring to buy a costlier stove which
bears the likeness of a gas-stove, to a cheaper and more efficient stove
which looks like a plain grill. I have always wanted to explore the
importance of design and external appearance on stove acceptance and
adoption, but could not come across a lot of literature on the subject.
However, I'm sure rural users evaluate each stove in a matrix of criteria
(which varies widely among communities), and stove appearance does figure
high in the list.

Regards,

Arun Sreekumar
The Energy and Resources Institute