[Stoves] cheap = ugly ?

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 22:41:53 CDT 2013

Dear Arun

The subject is covered in industrial design books. The job of an industrial
designer is to preserve the function while making the product appealing. The
total package is the 'value proposition'. If the appearance is a significant
portion of the proposition, it can make or break the sale.

Appearances do matter! In rural India, where I work, I've noticed a tendency
among households to choose products which look more characteristic of city
life. I've seen households preferring to buy a costlier stove which bears
the likeness of a gas-stove, to a cheaper and more efficient stove which
looks like a plain grill. I have always wanted to explore the importance of
design and external appearance on stove acceptance and adoption, but could
not come across a lot of literature on the subject. However, I'm sure rural
users evaluate each stove in a matrix of criteria (which varies widely among
communities), and stove appearance does figure high in the list.

Regards,

Arun Sreekumar