[Stoves] Relative Humidity question

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Sat Mar 23 05:56:43 CDT 2013

Dear Frank

"Relative Humidity" is a measure of the actual water content of the air
compared to the water it would contain when saturated.

For example, if it could hold 100 units of water vapour at 40 C, but it only
had 48 units, then it would have a "Relative Humidity" of 48%

In the case of your magnesium Nitrate example, if you started with air
having say 75% RH, or 25% RH, the air and the solution would come into
equilibrium at 48.42 % RH, +/- .37% RH

You can get information on what moisture content air will hold by consulting
a "Psychrometric Chart" or table. See:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-psychrometrics-properties-t_8.html
You have heard of "User Friendly"... well, Psychrometric Charts are "User
Hostile" :-( They are complicated, but there is an enormous amount of
helpful information contained within them.

Best wishes,

Kevin