[Stoves] Stove Definition

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Thu May 2 19:50:08 CDT 2013

Dear Christa

Thank you for your excellent references. They contain a lot of very good information. They show the very broad influence stoves can have on the lives of people using stoves, and the importance of the selected stoves being able to provide what is wanted of them.

"Stove Testing" seems to have gotten off on the wrong foot many years ago, with "Efficiency" being based on the Water Boiling Test "WBT". The fact that it was a flawed concept is evidenced by the numerous changes that have been made to it over the years. The unreliability of past tests is perhaps evidenced by the fact that there seems to be a reluctance to bring forward their data in a transparent manner.

Given that the existing "Stove Testing Protocol" is open to improvement, as is evidenced by the fact that they seem to be under review, this is a good time "do things right." The five fundamental attributes of a "stove" are:
* Function
* Fuel Type
* Fuel Efficiency
* Health
* Safety

There are several "stove functions", such as cooking, heating, and making char. There are applications where a stove performing a combination of these basic functions would be advantageous. While your major interest, and that of the stoves List seems to be "Cooking Stoves", others may be interested in different stove functions, or combinations of functions. Different Categories and sub categories can be set up, so that performance of various stove systems within a given sub-category could be made in a meaningful manner.

One thing I think would be very helpful would be to test the stoves over a range of power levels. With an electric stove, one can simply "dial up" the desired power level, for boiling, simmering, or slow cooking.. A biomass stove is capable of "power output control also, but its efficiency and emissions are also likely to change at reduced power levels.

Having truly meaningful performance data for the stoves would enable Aid Organizations and other customers or Promoters to select stoves for how they would best fit into "their big picture."

Best wishes,

Kevin