[Stoves] Stove Definition - controllability

Ron rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sun May 5 00:43:32 CDT 2013

Crispin and list

   Few inserts below.

On May 4, 2013, at 6:13 PM, "Crispin Pemberton-Pigott" <crispinpigott at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Paul O
>
> “It makes no sense to talk about a turn-down ratio of 4 to 1, if the time needed to turn down or turn up is not clearly defined.”
>
> Well I disagree there. A National standard is not in a position to tell manufacturers how quickly the power level should change. For your information, when a person is using a stove with a high thermal mass, the rate the heat gets into the pot changes very slowly and cook anticipate it by reducing the fire (or removing it completely as I have seen on one occasion) and adapt their behaviour to the product.
    [RWL:  I can't conceive of any stove person wanting to dictate much of anything to a stove manufacturer, save possibly on safety.  The question should be whether reporting comparative data measured in time units will be useful to a fair number of users of that data.  Time to boil is already such a reported measurement, although not something that separates Groups 0 through 4.  This response applies to the next exchange as well.  Paul is talking time units, Crispin is not,

     No need to respond either on the later exchanges below.

     Different topic.   M  We need to focus on the rankings of the four GACC groups. Right now a magic number is 45% for conversion efficiency for group 4.  How to ensure that all stoves are treated fairly?  I now think (after coversation with Dean Still) that the measurements can be made with sufficient accuracy. If not, why not?  I still don't see TDR (or power level switching times) as rising to such a level that we slow down the process of Jim Jetter, Dean,  etal   If such data are easy to measure and report and useful to stove buyers or anyone, let's report them.

   I still am waiting to hear any TDR numbers from any char - makers.  I can conceive of some being better than 4:1.    End     Ron]