[Stoves] Conceptioal Errors and possible pitfals.

Ron rongretlarson at comcast.net
Tue May 7 11:38:21 CDT 2013

Crispin etal

    1.  I am disappointed we have no section in 4.2.2 to look at.  Can anyone supply it?  I have not the time today.

    2.   I am no expert in this topic, but it seems to me that it makes no difference whether the reporting says 4.9 or 5.0.  The important issue was - can others repeat the testing on the same stove and get the "same" reported efficiency.  This is an efficiency test to compare stoves.  I care only that both numbers 4.9 and 5.0 are reported and the energies involved are done correctly. I care especially that energy in char is not treated as the same sort of loss as what slipped past the pot which started with 5 liters.

   3.  You ask at the end:   "Is this cognitive dissonance or conceptual error?"

   I say this is neither.  The question is, did the test you described give a reasonably close approximation of heat transfer that was useful in separating stoves into four groupings.  If the answer was 44%, have I a right to demand another test, since I thought it was going to be 46%?  Eventually there could be millions of dollars riding on this sort of 2% difference. (45% is the dividing line between groups 3 and 4).

      I suggest we have better things to than debate this sort of topic.  An ISO process is underway.  We can point out big errors, but your example of 4.9 vs 5.0 doesn't rise to that level for me.  Put that in energy efficiency terms that matter, and we should all want to continue.  I repeat, though, that approach 4.2.2 is where the big league action (baseball jargon)
now is.   Ron