[Stoves] the price of bottled gas

Christina Espinosa c_espinosa1 at u.pacific.edu
Thu May 9 15:00:47 CDT 2013

Thanks Crispin!

I would love to hear more from Cecil. We struggled while trying to decide
between in depth interviews and surveys. We ultimately decided on surveys
in order to gather a significant enough sample size to try and understand
more about fuel perception (of which another 10-15 questions are focused).
We didn't want to make assumptions about fuel perception without having a
significant enough sample size. Since Guatemala had limited data on the
kinds of questions we were interested we choose to go the survey route. We
did however complete in-depth ethnographic interviews before we designed
our survey.

Best,
Christina

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 12:50 PM, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <
crispinpigott at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Christina****
>
> ** **
>
> >We came across this issue in our survey design in Guatemala of which we
> surveyed 300 households. We used almost 10 of our 50 questions to try and
> capture that data. We looked at:****
>
> ** **
>
> 1. Primary Fuel****
>
> 2. Secondary Fuel****
>
> 3. Percentage used of each fuel (this was a bad question)****
>
> 4. How are the fuels used differently****
>
> 5. How much money do you spend on each fuel per week (LPG &
> wood...question only for households purchasing wood or LPG)****
>
> 6. How long does a 25lb tank of LPG last****
>
> 7. How much wood is purchased or collected per week, and if you purchase
> wood how much to you pay for the quantity you purchase.****
>
> ** **
>
> This is really good. The two things we are interested in is the home
> economy and how much money goes into fuels of different types, and the
> energy economy that looks at what energy comes out of which fuels, and why
> for both sets of data.****
>
> ** **
>
> I am hoping that Cecil Cook will jump in with some recent info on his
> interviews (which tend to be far more in-depth than surveys).****
>
> ** **
>
> Regards****
>
> Crispin****