[Stoves] In praise of kerosene

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Sat May 11 18:43:41 CDT 2013

In developing cook stoves, we should have two goals in mind: the
respiratory health of the people using the stove and the global health of
our planet. Funding agencies that focus only on the former are might be
solving an immediate problem, but they are neglecting a much bigger and far
more disruptive problem. For example, some poor household in the Mekong
might be breathing cleaner air as it sits around an LPG or kerosene stove,
but soon it will have to abandon house and farm due to rising sea levels.
Many areas of rich farmland in the Mekong will be under water as sea levels
rise.

If we then focus on designing biomass stoves rather than fossil fuel
stoves, we are faced with the choice between char-making and non-char
making stoves. Being able to bury carbon in the soil in the form of biochar
is an ideal way of sequestering carbon. At the same time it significantly
improves the fertility of the soil. This in turn reduces the need for
chemical fertilizers derived from fossil fuels.

So if we live in areas where agricultural or forestry resides are abundant,
we should be designing biomass stoves that make biochar. In this way we
fully address issues relating to human and planetary health.

Thanks.
Paul Olivier

On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 5:32 AM, Paul Olivier <paul.olivier at esrla.com>wrote:

> Are you serious?
>

> On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 6:56 PM, Steve Taylor <
> steve at thetaylorfamily.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> Do you imagine that the higher and higher the concentration, the worse it
>> gets ? Even the IPCC acknowledges that isn't the case. 15 years of rapidly
>> rising CO2 concentrations, and zero change in global temperature,
>> acknowledged by many, including the UK Met Office.
>>

>> On 11 May 2013 12:43, Paul Olivier <paul.olivier at esrla.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Are you serious?

>>> --
>>> Paul A. Olivier PhD