[Stoves] Forced draft with auger pellet heating stove

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sun May 12 04:22:58 CDT 2013

Dear Dean and Paul O.,

The type of device that you describe (your messages are below) has been
done but at this point it is not commercially viable at small sizes for
residential purposes.

Note:  What are commonly called "Pellet Stoves" in America meet your
criteria of having "forced draft with auger pellet heating stove" and
are affordable by affluent people.   However, they have full-combustion
in one spot (burn all the way to ash without the
gasifier-charactertistic of making gases separately from the burning of
the gases.)  And they are not really configured to be cooking stoves.
The American pioneer of pellet stoves (Jerry Whitfield  see:
   http://woodpelletguru.blogspot.com/2007/12/in-beginning.html  ) has
stated in the past year at some conference his interest in making a unit
with the cooking function.   But i have not heard more about that, and I
do not have direct contact with him. Info about pellet stoves is at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pellet_stove
Jerry Whitfield is also interested in biochar:   See
http://harvestcleanenergy.org/blog/Jerry-Whitfield-on-biochar.html

On the topic of an actual gasifier for this task, the AVUD technology
and initial products have been done by Chip Energy. See
www.chipenergy.com  (Biomass Furnace and the Biomass Grill) and is
described in the widely available paper "Micro-gasification: What it is
and why it works" published in Boiling Point several years ago.   (also
found at the www.drtlud.com   website ).

The problem is the costs of having augers and fans only become
financially viable when the unit size is substantially larger than what
is practical for residential use.    I believe that this can be
overcome, but I and Chip Energy do not have the financial muscle to
undertake that venture at present.

If anyone would like to explore that type of device, please contact me.
    And you can meet with me, but this will NOT be a focal topic/target
of my activities at the Stove Camps where I will be presenting in
Uganda, Oregon, Tennessee and Massachusetts in July, July, Aug, and
Oct., respectively.

I do not recommend that you start from scratch.   It took me 8 years to
get to the AVUD stage, and I and Chip Energy have not revealed
everything in the publications.

Paul

Paul S. Anderson, PhD  aka "Dr TLUD"
Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu   Skype: paultlud  Phone: +1-309-452-7072