[Stoves] In praise of kerosene

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Sun May 12 05:36:20 CDT 2013

[Default] On Sun, 12 May 2013 17:14:26 +0700,Paul Olivier
<paul.olivier at esrla.com> wrote:

>So if we had a device that only generated radiant energy, this should be ideal for lighting rice hulls.

Paul, I still haven't seen rice hulls in a stove, it is apparent they
have unique combustion characteristics.

I was just mentioning ignition using electric elements with blown air,
we use these to ignite wood chip stokers and pellet stoves/boilers.
The thing is that these produce hot air that then pyrolyses the wood,
this produces offgas and char, the char then ignites and gets hot
enough to ignite the offgas and then a flame develops. Until the flame
takes hold the offgas is vented and is very acrid. I think there has
to be a flame present early in the ignition to burn the offgas.

BTW if anyone in UK wants some bits and pieces from pellet stoves to
play with then I have 2 redundant 15 and 25kW devices which were
removed from unsuccessful installations.

AJH