[Stoves] Continuous gasifier for household scale - experience sharing

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Tue May 14 15:36:20 CDT 2013

Dear SNV and Tuong DoDuc,

I have not worked with continuous feed rice-husk gasifiers.   I have had
success with using dry woodchips/pellets, but not financially viable at
household level.

The rice husk expert is Alexis Belonio.   I am sending him a copy of
this message because he does not always read all of the Stoves Listserv
messages.   I suspect that he would agree with the remainder of my message:

Note:  Your current level of activities are already advanced because
your starting point is  based on the Belonio work.   And your level of
questions cannot really be addressed via email messages.   What is
needed is hands-on work by experienced people with advanced equipment
(at least PEMS-level measurements) with a timetable and a budget that
can cover some serious expenses by the best people.   Or go to Belonio,
paying your own way and paying something to him and the entity where he
is working, and there you will find answers with real depth.

Opinion:  An organization the size of SNV (and others) should bring in
the assistance you need, or be prepared to re-plow the same fields
(re-inventing the same wheel) that Belonio and others have done at
considerable personal expense and sacrifice.

Technical note:   I have for a long time been impressed by the beautiful
blue flames from the rice husk gasifiers.   But your materials call
attention to soot deposition from these flames. So I conclude that the
blue flames from rice husk should not be equated with the super-clean
combustion with blue flames from natural gas, LPG, biogas and alcohol.
Super-clean burning is harder to do than meets the eye that sees blue
flames.

Your work is to be commended, and encouraged to continue.   But this is
serious research.   And I do not normally associate SNV with such
technical research (but I could be mistaken). Somebody needs to get this
work done, and I hope that SNV and others will put the needed resources
into resolving these important issues.

And the studies need to address the issues of cost of a device that is
targeted to serve single households.   Even when a unit such as you are
constructing is functional, it might not be affordable or even
appropriate for the HOUSEHOLD target.   Maybe for restaurants???    or
for small commercial needs such as significant heating of water for
hotels, etc.???

Dr TLUD

Paul S. Anderson, PhD  aka "Dr TLUD"
Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu   Skype: paultlud  Phone: +1-309-452-7072